[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Who is your greatest and why?

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Who is your greatest and why?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:02 pm 

As a newbie here, and just to trigger a conversation, I thought I'd ask who you think the greatest of all time is and why? It doesn't have to be a single fighter, as choosing a single greatest is probably impossible (well it is for me) but a little explanation of why you think they should be considered the greatest will be very interesting to read.

To start us off, I'll give you mine. I have two, one I think is the greatest mixed martial artist, and one the greatest MMA fighter (slight difference that I will explain).

First is Randy Couture. I personally believe he embodies MMA to a degree no one else does. He doesn't always win, but he never says no to a hard fight, and he has had a shit-load of them. Outside the ring is where he really makes his mark. He is such a gentleman and, at least in regards to the sport, so intelligent and eloquent that he is a perfect ambassador for MMA in general not just the UFC. Dana White is a crude, thuggish man, but he sells UFC really well. Couture however is who I would point at and say "See son, that's who you want to be when you grow up."

First equal is Bas Rutten. Once again very eloquent and intelligent doing as much for the sport out of the ring as in. However in this case Rutten is a killer. Watch his career and you can see the man get better and better, never really looking like anyone would beat him, even when he lost. At the end of his career he was more dominant than at the beginning (Couture stayed as dominant, but is trailing off now). In fact I believe he could get back in the cage right now and make a run at a UFC title.

So there we have it - Randy Couture and Bas Rutten are the greatest MMA fighters of all time in my opinion.

What do you guys think? :)

Post subject: Re: Who is your greatest and why?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:44 am 

I can say that I agree with a lot of things. Especially with the role-modeling part.

But when it comes to the greatest or the GOAT it is hard to say, probably because different variables are taken into account when trying to measure.

in my opinion the greatest MIXED MARTIAL ARTIST should be defined by these simple things:

- Titles (not just the quantity but the quality of the organization that the title represents)

- Amount of wins against quality opponents, rematches & consistency in dominating opponents through out the fights, skills

- Title defenses, how they are defended (decisioning or finishes, finish is of course better)

by these standards I would say GSP, Anderson Silva, Bas Rutten after that comes Fedor, BJ Penn, Hughes, Liddell in no particular order...

but if I could say the greatest, I would have to say GSP... just for how he dominates fights with perfect technique, the well-roundedness, consistency & effectivenes, avenged both of his losses (1 to possibly the most dominant WW champ Matt Hughes, 1 to formar heavyhanded WW champ Matt Serra).

GSP is the greatest of all time, even though he is active and I believe he should currently be the #1 P4P by a good margin.

How is that? and no I am not a GSP fan, in fact I think his fights have become rather boring. but you gotta admit the truth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 am 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:52 pm 

You know, the reason I didn't exclude GSP from being a greatest due to his active status is because of the young age the sport is in. I mean many pioneers are still active, but I can see why Bas Rutten is there on the top. Definitely deserves it.

What I can't understand though is why aspects that hasn't much to do with MMA is so important when trying to find who the greatest Mixed Martial Artist is?

Being a humble guy, athletic, etc shouldn't be important at all. I solely look at accomplishments.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:14 pm 

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]