[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Dana Rankings are Paid for...

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: Dana Rankings are Paid for...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:03 am 
Special

No stranger to a little controversy, UFC president Dana White recently made waves by suggesting in a May interview with ESPN's Bill Simmons that many mixed-martial-arts rankings lists were influenced through financial contributions.

This past weekend, in a one-on-one interview, White confirmed that he still believes rival promotions are improperly influencing the media's opinion.

"Let me tell you what; I've been in this business for a long time," White said. "Nobody, and I mean [expletive] nobody, knows more about this business than I do.

"Everything that's happened throughout the years, all the [expletive] that I've gone through, my biggest beef with a lot of these MMA websites is that these guys are for-profit websites. They're not [expletive] news sites. They're for-profit websites."

White doesn't necessarily contend that media members are taking direct payments for placing a fighter in a top-10 list. Instead, he believes that the advertising that promoters often purchase on MMA websites can easily skew journalists' opinions.

When White's comments first came to light, some MMA observers referenced the UFC's past arrangement with sports radio host Scott Ferrall – in which Ferrall was paid to attend UFC events and in turn discussed the fights on his SiriusXM show – as proof the UFC president was being hypocritical in his "pay for rankings" accusations.

"Scott Ferrall isn't making rankings," White said. "It's different if you get guys to come out and cover some events. Believe me, in building this business, we had to do some things. But as far as being on the up-and-up? You will never hear a story about me trying to do something with a referee or a judge or trying to pay somebody to rank our fighters.

"We don't even rank our own fighters. Do you see any ranking system on our website?"

Some fans and media members have pointed to a need for an internal ranking system within the UFC, but White said not to expect that anytime soon.

"It's a total conflict of interest, and in my opinion, it's pretty easy to figure out who's next in line for title shots and things like that," White said. "And, at the end of the day, we're in the business of making fights that people want to see. For instance, right now, I am getting terrorized – and I'm shocked that people keep doing it – to put on Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre. It starts to get to the point where I'm like, 'I guess if everybody wants to see this fight, maybe we make this fight. We do it as a superfight.' I don't know. These guys still have a few fights to go before that could happen.

"But we don't make our own rankings. It wouldn't be right."

White said he believes that in order to be considered among the best fighters in the world, an athlete needs to compete in the sport's top promotion.

"I'm going to tell you what the big problem is," White said. "People ask me 'What do you think about Strikeforce doing this?' How the [expletive] can you talk to me about Strikeforce? How can you put Strikeforce in the same [expletive] sentence as the UFC – seriously – with a straight face? How can you do it?

"The MMA guys, you guys feel like you have to be fair. No you don't. It would be like boxing covering some [expletive] event that's happening in Ohio (rather than a big fight in Las Vegas)."

White's biggest gripe, of course, comes with media members who believe Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko should be considered the world's top pound-for-pound fighter.

"[Strikeforce has] sold 4,000 tickets to the (June 26) Fedor fight," White said. "That fight is in a couple of weeks. Nobody gives a [expletive], and nobody is going to give a [expletive] about Fedor until he gets in here and fights the best fighters in the world. And believe me when I tell you I tried to make it happen. You don't even know the crazy [expletive] places that I've flown and the [expletive] that I've done to try and get this fight done. It got to the point where it became an obsession. I wasn't sleeping.

"I've signed Brock Lesnar, who came from the WWE, James Toney from boxing – he's a nut chasing me all over the place – Tito Ortiz, whom I hated, and he hated me. I signed him twice when we hated each other. I've kept Chuck Liddell, kept Matt Hughes, kept Rich Franklin, when they were all champions. Anderson Silva, I've dealt with all the crazy [expletive] with him.

"But I can't sign Fedor? How is this possible that I can't sign this guy? It's not possible. These guys don't want to fight the best in the world."

White said as the UFC continues its global expansion, fighters will need to fight in the octagon to prove their worth as MMA fighters. Just as the world's best football players compete in the National Football League, White sees the UFC as the pinnacle of the sport.

"Guys who deserve to be called the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world are the guys who are fighting the best in the world three times a year," White said. "So when you talk about the rankings and all this [expletive], you're going to put Strikeforce in the same [expletive] sentence as the UFC? We're global. We're all over the world. These guys can't sell tickets in their own hometown. They're dying. They just had a heavyweight championship fight with a guy who got knocked the [expletive] out in his previous fight. You know what I'm saying? It's insane.

"When people wonder why I say these people are being paid for rankings, and this is all a crock of [expletive], do you really have to ask me that question? Seriously, look at it for what it is."

"I don't want Strikeforce to go away"

Despite his hard-nosed stance on rankings, you may be surprised to find out the UFC boss isn't hellbent on eliminating other MMA promotions.

In fact, White says the opposite is actually true. The fiery exec says the UFC needs other organizations to survive in order to help the sport of MMA grow worldwide.

"Everybody thinks it's me being anti-competition," White said. "There is no competition. We're the NFL. You don't see people looking at the NFL and going, 'Yeah, but he's not the best player in the world because there's a guy playing for the Canadian Football League or the Arena League over here.' We're the NFL. There is no other guy.

"Strikeforce, we need Strikeforce to exist. I don't want Strikeforce to go away. I need these guys. I need them and all the other guys. I wish the other idiots didn't blow their brains out like they did."

White insists the world needs viable MMA promotions to help grow the sport and develop talent – talent that could ultimately fight in the UFC after properly developing in smaller shows.

But White offers a stern warning to anyone trying to directly compete with his promotion.

"Everybody wants to come in and try to compete with us," White said. "We've been around for almost 20 years. I've been doing this for 10 years, and we're the ones building the [expletive] industry. We have built this industry over the last nine years. Everybody else is following. You think Strikeforce knows the next move? Is Strikeforce doing anything to get New York and Ontario done? [Expletive], no. We are, and we're going to get it done. They're just riding along.

"All these other guys blew their brains out and spent millions and millions of dollars that if done the right way, they could have made money and built the business. But no, we're going to go out and compete with the UFC. You know how [expletive] dumb that is? It's like us sitting at my house on a Sunday going, 'Look at this NASCAR. Oh, my God. Look at all the people there. Look at how much money they're making. You know what? We should steal a couple of their drivers, and we'll start our own league.' Does that sound [expletive] dumb to you? That's how [expletive] dumb it is to think you're going to come out and compete with us now."

White says the UFC's efforts to gain regulation throughout North America while also growing the sport across the globe are firm testaments to the promotion's to-dog status.

"Where are these guys going?" White asked. "What are they doing? They're not going anywhere. They're not doing anything. You know what we're doing? (UFC co-owner) Lorenzo (Fertitta) was just on the road for [expletive] 12 days. He was in China. Then he was in India.

"We're doing deals. We're going to do these shows. We're going to open up all these different countries, and people are [expletive] seriously asking me about Strikeforce?"

A promoter in every sense of the word, White never shies away from speaking his mind. And after watching the demise of promotions such as Affliction, BodogFIGHT, EliteXC, the International Fight League and countless others, White's mind believes it's time for budding MMA promotions to consider their role in the sport.

According to White, the UFC isn't relenting its spot as the juggernaut of MMA organizations.

"There was a time when it was neck-and-neck," White said. "That time is over.

"There were times when we were in dogfights, but everybody needs to just concede and realize we're the [expletive] NFL. Period. End of story."

..::::..

Post subject: Re: Dana Rankings are Paid for...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:54 pm 
Special

Another worthless rant from DW.

Favorite Fighters:
Alistair Overeem, Kenny Florian, KJ Noons, Miguel Torres, Brian Stann, Donald Cerrone, Carlos Condit, Shane Carwin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:56 pm 

He's right.

The UFC is the NFL of MMA...

The UFC did in fact built the industry...

The UFC is in fact the big majority for why the sport is going global attention.

Once I didn't like Dana too much and compared him to Don King and was being ignorant...

When you look at the facts, there is nobody else that has done as much for MMA as White,

He and the Fertittas believed in the sport when it wasn't even considered a sport...

Respect to you Mr. White!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:38 pm 
Special

I can only say this after I read it: If you don't want the media to ask questions about Strikeforce, why rant on and on about it during an interview. Just answer them with: I am Dana White, I am the UFC, if you wish to talk about StrikeForce then go to them. Now it sounds like a commercial during the American Elections where one candidate banters the other one.

If he needs StrikeForce so much then stop saying to the world how bad they are. Just say I think they should change their ways a little and then we can both benefit from each other.

But I am the type of guy that just does not like to talk trash about people unless it is because they hurt me personally and I need to get it of my chest ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:56 pm 
Special

Zuffa is the biggest out there, but his arrogance starts to annoy me,
"trust me they aint doint blah blah blah, we, me, I'm 10 year in the fight game, nobody knows more, blah blah blah"
you might be right (though I don't agree you know the most about mma in general) but is that the reasons why the top 10 fighters in the world in each weightclass fight in the UFC?
Claim you know the most, but you should probably take some extra classes for valid argumentation , mate.
I gennerally like the guy, but he is liked to much, that makes arrogance come out of everybody, ya need critics to keep you grounded(I think) :mrgreen: .

Favourite .. FIGHTer: Chan Sung Jung
Best looking FIGHTer: Michelle Waterson
Best retired FIGHTer: Bas Rutten
Best P4P ... FIGHTer: Anderson The Spider Silva!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
Special

Like another article on the forum mentioned, UFC needs to change venue for UFC on Versus because they could not sell tickets, he used that argument for StrikeForce yet he can't sell them everywhere either :lol:

It is not all about the name, it is all about the audience wanting to pay for a card and yes UFC often sells more PPV and tickets but that is also because they are better known throughout the world. Same with the fighters.

That does not mean that the fighters at the UFC are better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:46 am 

I don't disagree with everything Dana said, but if they aren't trying to run other promotions into the ground, why do they counter program? Is it coincidence they play a recent UFC PPV for free on Spike when the Strikeforce shows are airing? I don't think so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:08 pm 

Dana is not stupid but i do hate his character.

Yes the ufc build MMA in the USA. the ufc will be the top org for a long time to come but it isnt the NFL just yet. this sport is to young.

Fan of Fighters, Not Organizations.

UFC HW BELT = SAKU BELT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 am 
Special

I have nothing bad to say about Dana. Sure, he may make some pretty absurd statements from time to time. But in the big picture, who cares? He is the reason we are watching and talking about MMA today, and he has put in a lot of work to legalize MMA in nearly every single United State. No other promoter can say they have given that much back to the sport; most are only in it to make some quick money, rather than give back to the sport.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:53 am 
Site Admin

Ha ha ha :) Dana is the best! lol Yeah sure he has a personality that irritates people but he is like he is and I dont dislike it. If I had to choose from all the executives in the world to run UFC I would still choose Dana! He has really done a lot for the sport and there is no dubt UFC are the biggest promotion in the world so not really anything to argue about. He is also open and talks to the press quite a lot. I dont like a lot of things about the Zuffa corporation, some of their antics are weird, but I must say that I have nothing against Dana White himself. Considering the amount of cash hes making he still has his feet somewhat on the ground wich is impressive.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]