[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - µTorrent crashing my local network

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:37 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: µTorrent crashing my local network
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:04 am 

Basically after a few weeks ago, but more frequently after downloading the latest events from the bigger promotions(Bellator XXX, UFC 119, Dream 16), µTorrent started to crash my entire local network. I have 1 computer I use for web browsing, gaming, seedboxing, and video/audio playback. Its an "omni-box", if you will. The system is connected to 1 modem, there is no extra hardware. Wall>modem>PC's network adapter, that's it. The problem is still occurring somewhat as I type this, µTorrent's upload speed is going up to max then back down to 0. When I say crashing my local network, I mean the actual modem stops functioning, the lights that indicate an active internet connection temporarily disappear, and Windows has to reset the local network connection and adapter after the modem resets.
I contacted my ISP about this problem, and the tech support guy basically said the problem would be consistent with me overloading my local network. His assumptions seem correct: if i simply shut µTorrent down, my internet does not go up and down every few minutes. The Windows resource monitor also seems to confirm his assumption that with utorrent.exe running, I am using almost all my network bandwidth. Here's a screenshot of the Windows resource monitor that seems to clearly indicate µTorrent playing a big role in maxing out my network.

I have done several things to minimize the problem. I patched my tcpip.sys file to increase the max "half-open" connections in Windows from 10 to the max, 255, however this didn't seem to make a difference. The biggest difference seems to have been when I shut the uTP "bandwidth management" off completely in µTorrent.
So as i continue to try and sort this out on my end trying to keep seeding while also allowing myself other internet functions(online gaming, voice chatting with Skype, etc.) I'd appreciate any possible solutions, immediate or long term. A few ideas i've had:
Turn off or remove from µTorrent the amount of torrents I'm seeding to this site, which is over 100 at this point?
Buying a premium network card(instead of using the one that came with my motherboard) to increase the amount of bandwidth my local network can handle?
Adjust some additional settings in uTorrent to keep it from using so much bandwidth?

Post subject: Re: µTorrent crashing my local network
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:24 am 

If this is router/modem then too many connections could cause it to run out of memory and crash.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:39 am 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 am 

Well I think too many active torrents is causing my network utilization to break 100%, crashing my local network and modem. Now that I've restarted utorrent so many times, the tracker is rejecting my connections with the "Failure: Connection Limit Exceeded!" Error. However, now even with the same programs open(only difference is utorrent is being rejected by the tracker now), I'm only getting 0-1% "Network Utilization" under the Windows resource monitor. Now i'm about 100% sure the only way to fix this problem is to drastically reduce the amount of torrents I'm trying to seed at a time.
I still wonder though, if a premium network card would allow more active torrents to be seeded. Anyone have any info as to whether or not adding one to an "omni-box" like mine would help with this issue?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:52 am 

some modems have builtin routers. If you can hook up more than one computer up to modem than it's also a router if you can't then it's not. Adding a network card is good if you plan to network more than one computer but I doubt it would help in your case. According to resource monitor my Network Utilization is 100% but I'm only use 25% of upload and less than 1% download but in task manager it's show less than 10% Network Utilization.

Might not even be on your end could be ISP messing with the connection.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:32 am 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:13 am 
Site Admin

Hi mate, this is clear to me.

First 2 questions; What speeds does your isp offer? What modem have they provided you with?

Everything you say tells me that the problem is that your modem sucks. Im sorry to say so but the tech support you have with your ISP also sucks. I know this might sound harsh and all but the fact remains that the problems you experience when using µtorrent can only be a few things, specially since it affects all connections, not just one program. Its surely your modem unless you are operating on some shitold computer, wich I know you dont. Dont worry about your network card in first hand, it should be just fine.

edit: Try running your transfers thrue a VPN tunnel if you have isp problems. In some cases that solves a lot of problems as they dont see that its torrent traffic at least...
Sadly it might be even worse then just your modem at home. if they have shitty switches and routers in their system in general that can also affect the end user bigtime. They probably need to make massive changes and put new modern hardware but havnt because they are cheap. Its a typical scenario these days.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:06 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

I have the best job in the world. I just have to make sure everybody is happy ;) Its a pleassure to be able to help.

You can setup a VPN tunnel manually off course, but its well worth it using a company that does all the hard work for you and provides good speeds.

Try this one it looks solid:

Remember I dont garantuee by any means that this will solve your problems but I do recommend that you try.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:30 am 

Thanks, I'll have to think about giving vptunnel.se a chance. I heard a lot about something called , a service that sounds very similar in concept to a VPN tunnel. However, I noticed in the FAQ for Anonymizer:
Q: Does Anonymizer software support Peer-to-Peer programs?
A: Anonymizer services do not support Peer-to-Peer programs. Anonymous Surfing and Anonymizer Universal are only meant to make the user anonymous as they surf the Web on supported devices.
Glad I checked that out! Although I've heard tons about Anonymizer, finding out it doesn't support P2P programs makes it almost totally worthless.
But on the FAQ I found:
Q: Can I fileshare with the VPN service?
A: Yes you can fileshare how much you want.
And:
Q: Are my Internet traffic completely encrypted even for my ISP?
A: Yes, not even your ISP can see what you do on the internet when you use your VPN tunnel. All traffic is always encrypted.
Once again, Dent comes through for the win! :D.
So according to the , it should work with every program i use to connect to the internet, right? I'll definetly want to make sure of that before I give it a go.
Thanks again :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next