[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - µTorrent crashing my local network

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: µTorrent crashing my local network
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:39 am 
Site Admin

vpntunnel = swedish company

In sweden torrents and filesharing is a part of life, from oldest to youngest we all use them, so yes off course it will work with p2p. :mrgreen:
Stay away from scammers like Anonymizer that claim to offer a service but then ads in fineprint 'no p2p traffic allowed' and shit like that.

Good luck mate!

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:27 pm 

Well, I can't be 100% sure about the original problem until I do a lot more hardcore network stress-testing, but now all my programs that use the internet are securely, anonymously, and speedily routing all their incoming and outgoing data through a VPN tunnel server in Sweden. Personally I believe everyone should have pretty strong rights to basic privacy, especially with the more and more prevalent abuse of corrupt telecoms and governments spying on innocent citizens. And considering personal data theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the world, you have more than just corrupt businesses or governments to worry about. If you have ever felt the same, is a cheap, simple, fast, and effective way to feel safer in your daily internet use. I don't know if I'll ever go back to using the internet without it :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Great to hear that! It sure saves you a few grey hairs not having to worry about what you do with your internet connection.
Looking forward to hearing more about if it solved the original µtorrent crashing your connection problem when you have made your tests etc.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:51 am 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:10 am 
Site Admin

I am not in a hurry ;)

I am always interested in solutions to any problem regaridng internet connections as I do a lot of support in general and its great to be able to help people out. But Im defenitely not in a hurry.

Regarding ISP's that limit traffic and use second hand hardware I can just say, complain!! I know that if you dont have another choice its hard to threaten with changing provider, but if you can, do it. They wont take the clients seriously until they think they might loose money. One client doesnt matter off course but if more and more complains it becomes a real problem for them and eventually they will have to make some changes. Dont stop complaining!

w00t @ this banner :) ----->

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:28 am 

Here is my long-winded write-up and conclusion to this topic.
I think I can finally report and come to a conclusion on the few things I was able to discern from my "wait-and-see" testing. Basically, my ISP throttles any and all accounts that regularly use more than a certain amount of our allotted bandwidth. For example, although I can achieve just above 200kbps upload in utorrent at maximum, using that full amount for more than approximately 24 hours a week will cause them to throttle me down whenever their servers deem necessary. It can be as much as throttling me down to 10kbps upload for entire days, with frequent disruptions including being completely disconnected from all internet access for several minutes and requiring a manual restart of the modem.
Therefore, I have no choice but to use around only 75-100kbps upload speed if I am using my PC as a 24 hour seedbox. This allows me to elude their nerfing of my internet service to absolute garbage by keeping my account off the "high traffic, shit service" list.
And as far as complaining, even if I did have a competitor to switch to there is 1 major problem. They have, as far as I can tell, an entire PR campaign dedicated to denying that they do what I have just mentioned. And yes, I've talked to a head PR rep from Time Warner Cable about this already. The person had absolutely no knowledge about how the bittorrent protocol worked, but they were sure as hell adamant that they were not using any data discrimination or account throttling tactics. Complaining simply falls on deaf ears because they are trained to deny it at all junctions during a phone call. This PR campaign could easily spread from as high as the CEO of Time Warner Cable all the way down to every tech support rep they train. I seriously doubt the FCC would take such a complaint seriously(not to mention the questionable legal ground of the torrents I download in the first place), so the only person or entity to which I feel complaining to would be effective would be be a third-party watchdog agency or "wistleblower" type person or entity. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of any such person or group, and even if they did, Time Warner still has their "top-to-bottom" PR campaign to deny it.
The other options would be to hire an expensive lawyer to try and find any data discrimination laws they might be breaking, and ensuing in a long, arduous, and expensive court battle. Fact is without hacking into their servers and finding incriminating evidence of data discrimination, and doing so would be very risky legal ground in the first place(not to mention my lack of knowledge of any type of hacking), I have no evidence of any wrongdoing. Even if I did somehow come across said evidence, I simply do not have the time or money to go to court about this when my best possible result might be a class-action lawsuit against the company, or them getting a "slap on the wrist" from the FCC like what happened to Comcast quite a while back. Also, any and all complaints about what they are doing would be somehow based on the legality of it, and considering the download history they have on me I shouldn't even have to say anything further.
In short, I'm just going to deal with the problem until I can find a competitor. Even if and when I do, who's to say they won't be just as corrupt as Time Warner? Even though this sounds like an excuse to do nothing about the issue, I think I've considered all options, and simply living with the issue is simply my only rational option for the foreseeable(and possibly indefinite) future.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:44 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear that there is little you can actually do about it. I can only say that I hope that evolution catches up with your area too soon and that in time you will have both alternatives and better service!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 17 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2