[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Same utorrent client exploiting multiple upload slots

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:40 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Same utorrent client exploiting multiple upload slots
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:57 am 

A while after I upgraded utorrent to 2.01, I started to notice this. The same utorrent peer/client will often use several IP adresses, usually an IPv4 and 1 or more IPv6 addresses, to maintain several active connections to my client on the same torrent. It seems every peer who has IPv6 enabled on their utorrent client will try to establish and maintain more than 1 active connection. This happens no matter what i set my transp.disposition to, will occur on both uTP and regular TCP connections, will happen on any tracker, and only peers using utorrent will do this. As far as I'm concerned this is an exploit, a peer/leech should only be able to use 1 slot per torrent.

My client has not ever shown me using more than 1 slot when I'm downloading. I also doubt any of the people using several of my upload slots are intentionally "cheating", rather it seems like a bug with the latest utorrent client.

My questions are: Is anyone else noticing this, and has anyone figured out a way to stop it? If its just a known bug with the latest utorrent version, I'll just wait for them to fix it, but I've googled and searched quite a bit and have not seen anyone mention this.

Post subject: Re: Same utorrent client exploiting multiple upload slots
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

look here

-- 2010-03-30: Version 2.0.1 RC1 (build 18833)
- Change: remove duplicate IPv6 peer connection fix

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=72352

It looks likeits a bug that they think they have fixed...

Question is does it affect the performance and speed of utorrent in any way?

There is a new alpha release out so maybe they will sort this

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:50 pm 

As many of you who use the current version µtorrent(2.0.2 build 19648) may notice, this bug is still present. There was something on their update page that said that although they had this bug fixed, the had to revert the fix due to some other bug it was causing.

I did some testing on my own end, installing every older stable µtorrent client down to 1.8.5, and resetting all the settings in my µtorrent program except for keeping the "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\µTorrent\settings.dat" file in a backup folder. This is the specific file that you can backup to allow µtorrent to remember all of the files you are seeding and downloading, where and when they were started and finished, the upload/download ratio on those files, and the tracker(s) and key(s) you were using.

Unfortunately I had no success. I still noticed multiple upload slots being used by the same client/peer, judging by the fact that some peers are using the exact same port, and displaying having the exact same % torrent - The problem was still present.

Although this bug may not affect the "performance" of µtorrent per se, it does allow one client to use up to 3 upload slots, and it doesn't help them because the upload bandwidth they get from my client is divided equally between however many upload slots they are using. I tend to limit my upload slots because I have so many torrents uploading to this site alone, not to mention that I use the same torrent client to seed and download from other torrent sites. Limiting the upload slots when I have limited upload bandwidth helps keep things fair.

This is why this bug annoys me, if one person or client can use all or most of my allocated slots of any given torrent, it prevents other users of using those slots. This is quite unfair, as it prevents other users from downloading torrent due to users using multiple slots taking up what would be their slot. I have to limit my upload bandwidth and slots per torrent because, for whatever reason, my ISP not giving me the full upload speed I pay for, even with forced incoming and outgoing protocol encryption.

Trying not to stray too far from the point of this thread, due to the µtorrent developers being unable or unwilling to fix this problem, I was wondering if anyone had gotten to work in Windows 7 x64.

I usually hate GTK, GTK+ & GTK2 coded apps(the GNOME desktop environment, for example) - due to their lack of flexibility and customization in comparison to KDE & its apps, and because KTorrent is still my favorite torrent client(even over µtorrent), I am looking to make a switch from µtorrent to . The primary reason is because even though µtorrent is a great torrent client for Windows, this bug is really starting to annoy me, mainly becuase it hinders how fair I can seed to this community. My previous attempts to use it had failed due to errors launching any of the executables.

I'm using the latest version of KTorrent on my Linux drive, and I absolutely love it. I'm not really willing to switch from µtorrent to a torrent client other than KTorrent, because I'm very familiar with the way KTorrent works, its the only torrent client that I have always liked better than µtorrent, and would love to make a permanent switch to it. So, if anyone can help me get to work for Windows 7 x64, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Side Note: I'm also upgrading my motherboard and processor from a P35 chipset with a Core 2 Duo to a P55 chipset & a , so I'm going to re-install Windows 7 to make sure there aren't any stability problems with just swapping out the motherboard and trying to keep the same OS install. This means I'll be away from the site and seeding my torrents for around a day or more, depending on how busy I am.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:59 pm 

My PC has windows 7 x64 bit but i crashed out other day and is at the shop atm. When it comes back ill be more then happy to test it out. I also have a quad-core with 8g ram(im a gamer) but it started to beep on start up so im on my kid pc for the moment. Ill let you know should be picking it up today.

..::::..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]