[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Dana White says 'Rampage' Jackson will fight 'Shogun' Rua then leave UFC

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Dana White says 'Rampage' Jackson will fight 'Shogun' Rua then leave UFC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:21 am 
Special

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson (32-10 MMA, 7-4 UFC) isn't out of the UFC just yet.

One day after the disgruntled former light-heavyweight champ asked the promotion to be released, he's instead expected to serve the final fight of his UFC contract in a meeting with fellow former champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (20-6 MMA, 4-4 UFC).

Yahoo! Sports initially reported the UFC's offer of Rua to Jackson, and the matchup was confirmed tonight during an episode of "UFC Tonight." The bout is targeted for the summer, though a specific date has yet to be announced.

According to "UFC Tonight," Jackson will be released from the UFC after he fights Rua. The pair fought seven years ago in the now-defunct PRIDE Fighting Championships. Rua won by first-round TKO, though Jackson later said he wasn't fit to fight and expressed desire for a rematch.

But until today, Jackson's very future with the UFC seemed to hang in the balance. A series of fiery Twitter messages saw him point the finger at the fight promotion over a number of grievances, and in an interview Monday with HDNet's Bas Rutten, he said he was done fighting inside the octagon.

"I don't want to fight for the UFC no more," he told Rutten. "I think the fans don't understand. They think that just because I make a lot of money, I should be happy – because I've got a nice house. I've always stated that I fight for money because it's my career, but I think a lot of fans are sheep, and they don't understand."

In his most recent UFC appearance, Jackson lost a unanimous decision to "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner Ryan Bader at UFC 144. He gave up 20 percent of his "show" purse when he came in five pounds overweight for the fight. Later, he said an injury prevented him from cutting weight.

But Jackson courted further controversy when he admitted to undergoing testosterone replacement therapy prior to the fight and hinting that a UFC-recommended doctor prescribed the controversial treatment. Talking to Rutten, he said he was misquoted and his personal doctor gave him the prescription.

"He's my personal doctor, but I don't have to pay him," Jackson said. "'He just sends the bill' to UFC basically is what I said."

Regardless of the supposed miscommunication, Jackson said the relationship between his doctor and the promotion fed into his anger about the circumstances surrounding the Feb. 25 fight. A feeling of disrespect replaced most of the good feelings he had for his employer.

"The thing is, the UFC knew I was injured, and they knew I still fought for them," Jackson said. "I feel like, honestly, if I didn't fight on that card in Japan, I don't think the appeal would have been as big. I'm not trying to toot my own horn or nothing like that. But they only had me and (fellow PRIDE vet) Mark Hunt (on that card)."

Jackson's anger also prompted him to take aim at the UFC's matchmaker for pairing him against fighters with a strong wrestling background such at Matt Hamill, Bader and champ Jon Jones.

"I think Joe Silva needs to be slapped in the face," he said. "I'm sorry, (but) you've got a fighter like me who likes to go out there and fight fights, so why do you keep giving me wrestlers who are going to take me down and hump me?

"I'm sorry, but I'm really tired of the UFC."

Since losing the title to Forrest Griffin at UFC 86, Jackson has gone 4-3 in the promotion with wins over Wanderlei Silva, Keith Jardine, Lyoto Machida and Hamill. His losses include Rashad Evans (in a title eliminator bout) and a two-fight skid against Jones and Bader.

Jackson took the light-heavyweight title from Chuck Liddell at UFC 71 and defended the belt once against Dan Henderson before ceding it to Griffin.

Rua most recently lost a decision to Henderson at UFC 139 in a fight considered to be among the best of 2011. The former PRIDE tournament champion took the UFC belt from Machida by knockout at UFC 113, but lost it to Jones following a long injury layoff courtesy of a oft-troubled knee.

Source:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]