[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - UFC's Demetrious Johnson eyes 125-pound

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]
 Post subject: UFC's Demetrious Johnson eyes 125-pound
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:54 pm 
Special

Three weeks ago, Demetrious Johnson (9-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC) came up short in his bid to claim the UFC's bantamweight title from champion Dominick Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC).

With a little time to rest and reflect on the performance, Johnson believes he has only himself to blame for dropping a unanimous-decision to the bigger Cruz.

But while many MMA pundits believe Johnson is sure to drop to 125 pounds the minute the UFC officially adds the division, the 5-foot-3 "Mighty Mouse" is fine right where he is and isn't afraid to make another run to the top at 135 pounds.

"I still think I have a lot of fights there that are available for me," Johnson recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "The road back to the top doesn't scare me. It's only going to make me get better and evolve my skill and become a more mature martial artist."

Johnson was his usual speedy self during the UFC on Versus 6 fight with Cruz, darting in and out while finding surprising success with his strikes. But his size disparity became most apparent when the two would enter the clinch, and Cruz was frequently able to work the fight to the ground and utilize his top game to keep Johnson pinned on his back.

As he recalls the matchup, Johnson now realizes he should not have tried to work inside – which is exactly what his coaches were telling him as the fight played out.

"I didn't follow the gameplan," Johnson admitted. "I wasn't believing my coaches. Matt Hume was telling me that I was giving it to [Cruz] on the feet, and when the fight was going on, I didn't feel I was getting to him on the feet. Matt was telling me to stop initiating the clinch game, and as I stayed at home and watched it, each time I go in to grab Dominick, he's always throwing me around and taking me down and holding me down and passing my guard and mounting me."

And it was that control in positioning that led to the clear-cut win for Cruz. But just as UFC brass told Johnson after the fight, he wasn't outclassed or embarrassed by the champ. He was simply beaten by the bigger man, and he made a few key tactical errors along the way. Now Johnson is well aware that other fighters have a blueprint for victory, and the AMC Pankration disciple said he knows he'll need to make corrections to his game before returning to the cage.

"I know now that everybody is going to look at that fight and be like, 'OK, Demetrious has great footwork and speed, and he has great combinations; We just need to hold him down,'" Johnson said. "I've got to be able to break that habit and get my submission game better and work on getting back up to my feet or taking them down, passing guard and submitting them."

Johnson's next bout has yet to be announced. UFC president Dana White keeps teasing the arrival of the flyweight division to the octagon, but firm plans have yet to be announced. Johnson admits he's been taking a few weeks to relax, but he's still within striking distance of two weight divisions. Nevertheless, until further notice, he's still hoping to claim bantamweight gold.

"Obviously, 125 has been looking around and talked about," Johnson said. "Honestly, I'd be happy to there. I've been relaxing, eating Jack in the Box and drinking milkshakes. The biggest my weight has got up to has been 145, and I haven't been training that hard.

"Obviously in the future I'd love to go down there and test myself and try to be the first UFC 125-pound champion. But right now, I'm focused on 135 until further notice."

Source:

Post subject: Re: UFC's Demetrious Johnson eyes 125-pound
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 2 posts ]