[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Trainer Firas Zahabi discusses champ GSP's UFC 137 injury

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Trainer Firas Zahabi discusses champ GSP's UFC 137 injury
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:32 am 
Special

A sparring accident earlier today in Montreal is responsible for a knee injury to UFC welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre that has scratched next week's intended UFC 137 event.

St-Pierre sprawled on a sparring partner's takedown attempt, trainer Firas Zahabi today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). When the champ circled away, the injury became apparent.

"After he cooled down, I knew he couldn't fight anymore," Zahabi said. "I've been around, I've seen injuries, and I know that that kind of injury is going to take at least two to five weeks of not standing on it for it to be really good (and) sturdy to fight. That's just me estimating with what I've seen in the past."

As to the exact nature of St-Pierre's injury, Zahabi confirmed that it was a sprain but could provide no further specifics. He wasn't present when the fighter went to the doctor after the training session and received an MRI that confirmed he couldn't compete at the pay-per-view event, which takes place Oct. 29 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

"I don't know what the medical term is," Zahabi said. "I don't know which tendon, or ligament, or whatever is sprained. I'm not a doctor, but I know he's [had] an MRI, he got tested, and he won't be able to fight.

St-Pierre's UFC 137 opponent, Carlos Condit, has elected to wait for St-Pierre to recover from the injury. The champ's originally scheduled opponent, Nick Diaz, has been promoted to the main event opposite former champ B.J. Penn. Diaz was booted from the St-Pierre bout when he no-showed two press conferences this past month.

St-Pierre vs. Condit is now targeted for early 2012, UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta and UFC president Dana White said.

White earlier today broke the bad news about the injury via Twitter.

Zahabi said there was anger among St-Pierre's camp that the accident may have been avoided.

"I think we all had mixed feelings," he said. "Some guys were pissed off. Some guys were disappointed. But at the end of the day, it's sparring. There's nothing you can do to predict those things, and the sparring was not out of control. It was well within control. But when you're fighting, you push yourself. Georges has been pushing himself a lot and just pushed himself a little too far."

The plan now is to focus on St-Pierre's recovery so he's healthy when the fight with Condit gets made.

"I don't want Georges coming back too early and making it worse," Zahabi said. "I want him to heal 100 percent and have plenty of time for the next training camp.

"I'm disappointed, but I don't want to discourage Georges. I don't want him to feel guilty at all. It's a lot of man hours that he put in, a lot of sacrifice, and I would have liked to see him get (the reward). It's unfortunate, but it's going to be delayed."

So on Oct. 29, Zahabi will be watching Diaz square off with Penn.

"I can't wait to see that fight," he said.

Source:

Post subject: Re: Trainer Firas Zahabi discusses champ GSP's UFC 137 injury
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:12 am 
Special

weak

..::::..

Post subject: Re: Trainer Firas Zahabi discusses champ GSP's UFC 137 injury
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:20 pm 
Special

that fucks up my mood
come on show us some flowers

::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower::
::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower:: ::flower::
sorry had to do it, for all of you that weren't annoyed by the news, now you are by my flowers,
I'm sorry
but I kinda like them to be honest :ymparty:

Favourite .. FIGHTer: Chan Sung Jung
Best looking FIGHTer: Michelle Waterson
Best retired FIGHTer: Bas Rutten
Best P4P ... FIGHTer: Anderson The Spider Silva!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]