[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Despite hectic turn Jones insists Evans no distraction

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Despite hectic turn Jones insists Evans no distraction
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:43 am 
Special

HOUSTON – UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been on quite the whirlwind adventure in the past 14 days.

After defeating Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Jones was planning to take a little vacation. Then came a challenge from Rashad Evans, which Jones answered. Now, it's Lyoto Machida. No sweat, says "Bones."

"Obviously taking Lyoto on nine weeks has sped up a lot of things, but I feel between every great challenge lies great reward," Jones today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I think I'm on the verge of something amazing happening by beating three champions in one year. I'm honored."

Following his UFC 135 win over Jackson, Jones told anyone who would listen that he was ready for a little time away from the sport after fighting three times in just seven months, as well as both capturing and defending the UFC's light heavyweight title.

But as MMAjunkie.com reported earlier this week, the UFC approached Jones with an interesting proposition: delay the vacation and fight at December's UFC 140 event in Canada against the former friend and training partner who has been calling you a fake. Jones had to say yes. Unfortunately for him, Evans wasn't able to do the same after doctors said his injured right thumb would need additional time to heal.

Jones, who Evans accused of faking an injury when he withdrew from a planned UFC 133 matchup, isn't entirely satisfied with his opponent's explanation.

"I really wanted time off, but I took the fight because I really wanted to fight Rashad," Jones said.

"I really don't think he expected me to take that fight, and I took the fight," Jones said. "He probably thought, 'Holy crap. What is this?' I'm sure that was totally unexpected. I think he was trying to make me look like the ducker again. Now this time the tables may be turned."

Multiple attempts from MMAjunkie.com to reach Evans (who issued a brief statement earlier today) for comment were unsuccessful.

Moving on

But with Evans in the background, Jones now turns his attention to Machida, a man who once looked unbeatable but has recently fallen on hard times. Nevertheless, Jones said it will not be difficult to turn his focus away from Evans.

"It's not hard to shift motivations," Jones said. "I'd be crazy if I couldn't get motivated to fight Lyoto Machida. Lyoto is a great fighter. He was the champ when I was coming on board, so I associate him with being one of the big champions. My UFC debut, my Stephan Bonnar fight, that's when Lyoto Machida was becoming our champion, so I feel like I'm finally fighting our champion, and I'll be up for that, for sure."

Jones said he's never actually considered a fight with Machida, but he's certainly familiar with his tactics and has much respect for the karate stylist. That said, he believes his own creative adaptations of martial arts will prove very troublesome for his Brazilian foe.

"I think he's a lot like me, just a little more disciplined with his attack," Jones said of Machida. "My attack is a little more free-flowing. I'm more about the improv. Lyoto says he's been training since he was about 4 or 5 years old, so he has a lot of tendencies and ways that I think he'll have a hard time breaking, which is not like water. I think I might be a little more like water.

"I respect his game. I respect his game a lot, and it's going to be a big puzzle for him and for me."

Living life to the fullest

At just 24-years-old, the youngest champion in UFC history is learning new lessons everyday. The latest chapter saw him fend off accusations of spying, destroy an MMA legend in the main event of UFC 135 and celebrate with the reward of shiny new Bentley.

But Jones insists as he continues to evolve, his core values still remain the same – even in that shiny new luxury automobile.

"We work hard in life to be able to live life to the fullest," Jones said. "I save a lot of money. I'm a big saver. And to be honest with you, the Bentley was a gift from some very successful friends of mine who wanted to show their love for me."

Now comes perhaps the biggest test of all. Preparing for what will be his fourth fight in just 10 months, Jones will look to put the distraction of Evans aside and focus on Machida. Jones is certain that no matter what happens during the buildup, no matter what verbal barbs or accusations come from his nemesis, he'll be focused on the task at hand.

"Rashad doesn't have the power to distract me," Jones said. "I'm starting to feel more sorry for him than anything.

"Rashad is a fraud. He calls me fake, but he's the fake one. He doesn't know if he wants to be a thug or a businessman. He doesn't know what he wants. I really have no respect for Rashad. He's the most envious athlete in all of sports.

"It's funny because he always says his star won't climb higher by trying to lower my star. But he's proven himself to be a complete hypocrite because every second he gets, he's trying to find a way to put me down, and I just can't wait to get rid of this antagonist in my career."

When exactly that will happen remains to be seen. Jones must down Machida, and Evans – well the champ doesn't exactly think the challenger should simply be able to wait in the wings.

"After this Lyoto Machida fight, I'm definitely going to ask Dana for a nice rest and just let me hang out for a while and continue to develop my game," Jones said. "I also don't think Rashad should be the No. 1 contender anymore after this fight. He waited a whole year for 'Shogun' to come back. He calls me a ducker, but he waited a whole year. Now his thumb is hurting, and he doesn't want to fight anymore. I don't see why everybody else has to fight their hearts out two or three times a year and Rashad gets to fight once."

And with that, Jones is ready to put the Evans talk aside and focus on Machida.

The champ is honored to fight in Canada, a place he's visited many times and for which he openly expresses his love. And he's honored that so many fans have stayed loyal through his recent public battles with Jackson and Evans.

This time – this hectic, crazy time – is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and Jones is ready again to prove there is no hype, only substance.

"I really appreciate and respect my fans, the ones who always believed in me and see that I do things like take fights on six-weeks' notice – or in this case a nine-week notice – and the people that stuck with me through things like 'Rampage' saying I have spies or Rashad saying I'm ducking him," Jones said. "I just want to thank the people who can read through the crap and see that I'm trying to be a real champion, that I'm here to stay and that I'll fight for them.

"I'll be a company man and fight anybody, anytime, and I just want to thank the fans who really try to wrap their minds around who I'm trying to be for them. I think a lot of the question marks about who I am are starting to go away."

Source:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]