Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: What's your BJJ experience/belt rank?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:14 pm 

Hey guys!

Former soccer player and powerlifter here...Just started BJJ about 3 months ago, so I am a white belt (no stripes yet). I am definitely in love and ALL IN, I needed something that was physical and competitive to replace the sports that I stopped after school.

But I was just curious, just to get an idea of who's on this tracker...

What's your jiu jitsu experience (time spent in the art) and belt rank plus stripes?

Post subject: Re: What's your BJJ experience/belt rank?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:27 pm 

Close to 4 years blue belt four stripes. At the beginning I loved it but over the last year or so I've grown to like less. The first school I was at I really enjoyed but after about two years of being there, my instructor didn't have the passion to teach anymore so he closed up shop. So started going to another gym about 45 min to an hour away. Loved it there at first. Seemed like a great place, good people and just a larger school altogether. Which I enjoyed especially being a military town so you had new people from all over to train with. But after being there for awhile I noticed that the instructor there seemed to be having so many other problems with other gyms and people in general. I assumed it was just that those other places might be d-bags because this guy seemed to be a genuinely nice person. Well, one of the other people at my old gym who I use to get private lessons from all the time ended up opening his own gym. But he was only open like 2 days a week but some friends and I who use to train with him as well started going there once a week to train with. Then I started to notice a difference in the attitude my instructor started to have. Long story short he didn't like us going there. He deleted me from his page and the team page and even was talking shit about me behind my back. From my tiny experience, some places can just be cultish but I'm sure it's not like this everywhere so don't let my shit experience discourage you. I haven't really trained in about 3 weeks and I can tell a difference in my attitude. I'm a lot more short-tempered. I'm gonna go back but I'm just letting all the stupid drama die down. He has since added me back but I've ignored the request but I'll go back eventually.

Post subject: Re: What's your BJJ experience/belt rank?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:42 pm 

Darkseid wrote:
Close to 4 years blue belt four stripes. At the beginning I loved it but over the last year or so I've grown to like less. The first school I was at I really enjoyed but after about two years of being there, my instructor didn't have the passion to teach anymore so he closed up shop. So started going to another gym about 45 min to an hour away. Loved it there at first. Seemed like a great place, good people and just a larger school altogether. Which I enjoyed especially being a military town so you had new people from all over to train with. But after being there for awhile I noticed that the instructor there seemed to be having so many other problems with other gyms and people in general. I assumed it was just that those other places might be d-bags because this guy seemed to be a genuinely nice person. Well, one of the other people at my old gym who I use to get private lessons from all the time ended up opening his own gym. But he was only open like 2 days a week but some friends and I who use to train with him as well started going there once a week to train with. Then I started to notice a difference in the attitude my instructor started to have. Long story short he didn't like us going there. He deleted me from his page and the team page and even was talking shit about me behind my back. From my tiny experience, some places can just be cultish but I'm sure it's not like this everywhere so don't let my shit experience discourage you. I haven't really trained in about 3 weeks and I can tell a difference in my attitude. I'm a lot more short-tempered. I'm gonna go back but I'm just letting all the stupid drama die down. He has since added me back but I've ignored the request but I'll go back eventually.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about your experience! I hope that your fire is rekindled again. I definitely understand that and I think it's just people's nature. I played pool for 13 years, danced for 4 years and played soccer for a long time. In all these circles there are people who have a penchant for gossip and drama unfortunately.

But there are just as many good hearted people like you and me also in those same circles. I hope you connect with some people who inspire you to get out of that feeling and find that passion again!

Can I ask, what are the biggest lessons you have learned so far on your BJJ journey? I always love learning something from other people's paths!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:35 am 

hey man! ive been in the game since 2007, but as they say everyone has their own journey on the mats. ive been a blue belt since 2012, last grading got my first stripe after 7 years since my last promotion. not worried about the belt, just enjoying rolling with the squad and having a good time.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:56 am 

Ajwarrior wrote:
hey man! ive been in the game since 2007, but as they say everyone has their own journey on the mats. ive been a blue belt since 2012, last grading got my first stripe after 7 years since my last promotion. not worried about the belt, just enjoying rolling with the squad and having a good time.

for sure bro, totally understand that!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]