[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - UFC 135's Junior Assuncao celebrates UFC return

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: UFC 135's Junior Assuncao celebrates UFC return
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:00 pm 
If Junior Assuncao (12-4 MMA, 1-2 UFC) looks familiar, there's a reason for that.

While some casual observers may assume the 30-year-old Assuncao is making his UFC debut at Saturday's UFC 135 event, the Brazilian is actually returning to the octagon after a four-year absence.

During that time, Assuncao racked up a six-fight win streak and reinvented himself as a fighter. Now the capoeira and jiu-jitsu stylist has a new goal in mind – to firmly establish himself in the UFC and then have brother Freddy (5-1) join him and Raphael in the octagon.

"Freddy is Raphael's twin brother," Assuncao recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in his native Portuguese. "He has a great style. He really believes in our style, which is very different. I hope that I can demonstrate that on Saturday night.

"People think our base is Brazilian jiu-jitsu, but in reality we started with capoeira. I've graduated with a black string in capoeira. Freddy, too. We have a very different style. He's very talented. I think he'll end up in the UFC, too – three brothers in the UFC."

While Raphael has fought twice in the UFC's octagon following a five-fight stint in the WEC, it was Junior who became the first Assuncao to fight for the promotion when he took an October 2006 fight with Kurt Pellegrino at UFC 64.

Junior admits it was a tall order for a fighter with just five bouts under his belt at the time.

"For anybody that debuts (in the UFC), it's different," Junior said. "You can have 30 fights outside the UFC. Once in the UFC, it's a completely different environment – the pressure, the media, the responsibility of having to win, not to mention 1,000 cameras. To arrive in the UFC, it's a lot of pressure."

With that pressure weighing him down, Junior went just 1-2 during his first UFC run and was released from the promotion. Junior said the organization asked him to get a few more fights to his name in order to gain an invite back to the promotion.

"They told me to get some more wins under my belt," Assuncao said. "They asked me to gain more experience."

Junior initially struggled to a 1-1 mark outside the UFC, but he recognized what changes were needed and relocated to The HardCore Gym in Athens, Ga., leaving behind his own academy, Atlanta's Ascension MMA, in the pursuit of better training partners.

"I had my academy in Atlanta originally, Ascension," Junior explained. "I tried to dedicate my time to it. I didn't have a coach. I didn't have a team, I had nothing. I realized I had to make some adjustments in my life to be able to compete at the high level.

"In Atlanta, there are a lot of talented people, but each one has their own team. Sometimes a fighter travels, and then another one travels, then there's no coach who's really dedicated to us. There's a lot of talent, but not a lot of organization, and to compete at a high level, training has to be organized. Not just training, but lifestyle, diet, everything. Today, I'm 30 years old, and over the last four years a lot has changed in my life."

Junior has since racked up six-straight victories, earning an invite back to the UFC. He now meets UFC newcomer Eddie Yagin (15-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC), who's coming off of a victory over former Bellator Fighting Championship champion Joe Soto.

Junior said he's seen plenty of tape on his foe and knows his strengths. But he insists his time both in and out of the UFC have ensured that he'll be prepared.

"I've seen his fights, and I found him very legit," Junior said. "There's no one in the UFC who isn't legit. I'm taking him very seriously. I think his style matches up well with mine, but it will be his first fight in the UFC. I'm used to it. There's my brother Raphael, too. I'm with him at the events.

"I may not have been directly involved with the UFC over these past four years, as far as fighting in the UFC, but I'm always with my brother. I'm always in that crowd. So for me, it will only be a different crowd and a different cage. I think that for him, it won't be like that. But of course I'll give him his due respect. I will impose my game. I have a gameplan ready for him, and I hope to win, for certain."

Each of the Assuncao brother has recently re-evaluated their proper fighting weight. Junior was initially a lightweight in his first UFC run, but he'll now compete at 145 pounds. Raphael made the move from featherweight to 135 pounds. It's just one more example of the Assuncao's clans dedication to the sport, says Junior.

"It has been four years since I fought in the UFC," Assuncao said. "That was tough. But I stayed in touch their matchmaker. I'm always with my brother, Raphael, and everyone knows each other. Everyone knows what's up.

"I have been working at this comeback for four years now. I had a plan. I stuck with the plan. That was my mindset. It took me four years to create my streak, and now I'm back where I belong."

As is Raphael. And should Junior establish an octagon winning streak, expect him to appeal to UFC brass for an invite for Freddy, too.

Source -

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]