[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - "Dominican Demon" Julio Paulino looking for payback at UFC

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:36 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: "Dominican Demon" Julio Paulino looking for payback at UFC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:52 am 
Special

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18373/dominic ... rsus-1.mma

Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight newcomer Julio Paulino (17-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) is on a mission to make something happen.

Of the 110 kids that graduated from his high school in Jersey City, N.J., he estimated all but six are working at supermarket ShopRite, in jail or dead. He managed to escape by joining the Navy and did eight years as a machinist on ships at sea.

At first, fighting was a way to stay out of trouble after the Navy discharged him. Now, he's fighting to support four kids, and after five-plus years in the minor leagues, the time to make his mark has arrived.

"I can make it to the UFC and stay there for three to five years; I can secure my children's future in college," Paulino, who faces Mike Pierce (10-3 MMA, 1-1 UFC) at UFC on Versus 1 this Sunday, told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com).

It's also a chance to get some payback.

In November 2007, Paulino dropped to welterweight and lost a decision to now-UFC welterweight Rick Story, a close friend and training partner to Pierce. He said the weight cut sapped his ability to fight and Story "layed and prayed" to victory.

"I've been calling Ricky Story out since the loss because I wanted a chance to fight him when I was 100 percent me," Paulino said. "From what I understand, Mike Pierce is ranked above Rick Story. So if I beat Mike Pierce, that kills two birds with one stone."

Since Story, Paulino has stopped his past seven opponents with five victories by TKO or KO.

Nicknamed the "Dominican Demon," the 34-year-old Paulino wrestled in the Navy and followed a girl to Alaska after discharge. He took up boxing and fought on local cards. He didn't want to end up like his old classmates.

"I reigned supreme (on the boxing shows)," Paulino said.

When MMA became popular, he started training in jiu jitsu and made his MMA debut in January 2005 for the Alaska Fighting Championships.

"It put me in a gym surrounded by people (where) you have a group of friends and you consider them family," he said. "By the time you leave, you're leaving with smiles and laughs. You don't have to take it out on your kids or your wife. It's a healthy relationship I had with the sport."

Then Paulino saw the money to be made in MMA and decided it was a way to support his family.

It wasn't until he fought stateside that he caught the UFC's eye. This past September, he knocked out UFC veteran Terry Martin, and five months later, defended his AFC middleweight belt with a TKO win over another UFC veteran, Rob Yundt.

Around the same time, his relationship began to fall apart, but he continued to chase his dream.

"It was a passion that I knew I would kick myself if I ever stopped," Paulino said. "As they say in poker, I was pot-committed."

Now, he is determined to stay in his children's lives as he reaches for the stars. When a fight approaches, he consults them on what song to use for his entrance.

"If they approve my entry song, it will be one that's never been heard in the UFC before," he said.

Sunday's song in question will remain a secret.

Paulino expected to fight for Strikeforce before he made it to the UFC, but when Pierce's original opponent, Rob Kimmons, was forced to withdraw with injury, he jumped at the chance to fight in the octagon.

Although Pierce is known for solid wrestling skills, Paulino is convinced the fight won't be a battle for takedowns.

"If [Pierce] tries that, he loses and embarrasses himself, and the UFC's not going to want to have anything to do with him," Paulino said. "So he's going to want to try and stand up, which is going to be an even bigger mistake."

The UFC rookie is convinced his future looks bright.

"Either way, [Pierce is] going to be embarrassed," Paulino said. "He's going to underestimate me, and it's going to be a bad night for him."

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

Post subject: Re: "Dominican Demon" Julio Paulino looking for payback at UFC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

Its really great how fighting professionally has become a way of surviving and staying healthy for people that might only have had criminality, drugs and gangs to choose from normally. Now the fighting gives them a chance to become athletes and idols for younger generations. And to make money and provide for their families. Really nice.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post subject: Re: "Dominican Demon" Julio Paulino looking for payback at UFC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:52 am 
Special

Yeah its always nice to give people an opportunity to make something of themselves that otherwise wouldn't have a chance.

Many of the fighters in the UFC have stated they would have been in trouble if they were'nt doing MMA.

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]