[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - With fractured hand, Brian Bowles made the right call at WEC

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:14 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]
 Post subject: With fractured hand, Brian Bowles made the right call at WEC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 am 
Special

http://mmajunkie.com/news/18280/medical ... wec-47.mma

WEC 47 was an interesting night of action for all MMA fans – and especially this oddball who happens to be an orthopedic surgeon.

The now-ex-champ Brian Bowles suffered a hand fracture early in the fight, and according to the Ohio Athletic Commission, he didn't answer the bell for the third round (with urging from his cornermen). I felt bad for the kid; all that hard work out the window.

We've seen it many times before. It happens in fighting. I thought to myself, "Give him a few months to heal, and he'll be back. No controversy there."

Boy, was I naïve!

Then I let curiosity get the better of me, and I took a look at the discussion threads (which I swore that I'd never do again). Wow! The MMA blogosphere was crucifying Bowles – and that is putting it as nicely as I can. Bowles was having his manhood, heart and sexuality questioned and maligned. The comments were plentiful and brutal to say the least.

As a fan, I've seen (via TV) Bowles fight bravely on several occasions, and never once did I question his courage. I picked against him more than once, and he quickly made a fool of me. That young man from Athens, Ga., took the MMA world by storm.

Fans who will never fight under any circumstances (much less get into the cage with a superbly skilled opponent who is capable of dismembering them) will quickly comment that "Bowles is a wuss" because "so-and-so continued to fight with a broken hand." I love Urijah Faber, but he'd be the first to tell you that doing so with Mike Brown at WEC 41 was not the smartest thing that he ever did.

As an orthopedic surgeon, I realize how painful and tricky a hand fracture can be. I also realize the career-ending risks that are involved with continuing to fight another two to three rounds with such an injury. I cannot even begin to tell you the number of fighters who have seen their very promising and lucrative careers impacted or ended due to recurring hand issues related to a fracture.

Bowles is a top-10 bantamweight and a pound-for-pound elite MMA athlete – not a gladiator. His goal should be to win championships and maintain his career at a high level for as long as possible in order to make as much money as possible – then retire and enjoy his family, good health and money.

MMA is fraught with injuries, but needlessly destroying his body for the amusement of fans is not in his best interest.

The superbly conditioned, professional athlete Brian Bowles made the correct decision to end the fight and live to fight another day. He is a 29-year-old star at the top of the game with a very bright future. If he stays healthy.

Brian, stay healthy, listen to your doctors treating this injury, and come back stronger than ever. You did the right thing!

War Bowles.

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

Post subject: Re: With fractured hand, Brian Bowles made the right call at WEC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm 
Special

weak of Bowles, seeing as cruz fought with a fractured foot and damaged his own hand...Bowles outclassed and wanted out A S A P.

..::::..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

Bowles looked like he wasnt there. I agree that he was outclassed in this fight.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:48 pm 
Special

I Agree With You Both
Bowles No Longer Wanted To Eat His Bowl Of Whoop @$$

CAIN VELASQUEZ Wins By Ground & Pound Leaves Brock Lesnar With Tunnel Butt!!!

TOP 13 FIGHTERS
Rousimar Palhares
Chan Sung Jung
Mariusz Pudzianowski
Ryo Chonan
Tito Ortiz
Kazuyuki Fujita
Phil Baroni
Kimbo Slice
Mark Kerr
Charles Bennett
Mikey Burnett
Paulo Filho

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:39 am 
Special

Yeah Cruz looked great.

What a wuss Bowles is! lol I had to do it.

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:17 pm 
Special

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:25 pm 
Special

I did not know that breaking your hand causes you to lose your manhood. That it is harder to touch your manhood that is for sure :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:31 am 
Special

I think anyone who sits behind a keyboard, has never stepped inside of an Octagon/Ring and insists on calling Bowles a wuss should be ashamed at how despicable he/she is. For one thing, people are conveniently forgetting that it was the doctor who stopped the fight, not Bowles. Secondly, although Urijah Faber may have found it wise to keep fighting with two broken hands, that doesn't evenhandedly determine that fighting with a broken hand (or two) is a good idea.

Sure, Bowles was lost during the fight. After all, Cruz showcased a ridiculously effective unorthodox stand-up technique, and put on the fight of his career. Let's not forget that.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 am 
Special

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

You are both right but in this case I know Jonny wrote it with a glimse in his eye, and I am sure that he didnt mean to disrespect Bowles as a fighter or personally. But as a fan we all want to see fighters give their best. Specially those that pay for a ticket and go to the actual event should feel specially "cheated" when their fav fighter doesnt seem to give it all.

Then I would imagine that most hardcore MMA fans knows in the back of their heads that there are a million things that we might not know about that can affect a fighter and how he fights, and that people often are quick to draw unfair conclucions. And we do look up to them win or loose. After all they are in the cage and we are, yeah thats right lol, behind a keyboard.

But it doesnt take away the fun in saying what a wuzz (lol) Someone had to say it right....

Respect to all fighters out there wuzzes or not we love you!

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 10 posts ]