[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Matyushenko says recent setback beneficial for UFC on Versus

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Matyushenko says recent setback beneficial for UFC on Versus
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Matyushenko says recent setback beneficial for UFC on Versus 1 appearance

As UFC light heavyweight Vladimir Matyushenko (23-4 MMA, 4-2 UFC) finalizes his preparation for a March 21 contest with Eliot Marshall (8-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC) at UFC on Versus 1, "The Janitor" admits the potential for another last-minute cancellation exists in his head.

It's understandable. After all, Matyushenko had a UFC 108 bout with Steve Cantwell scratched the week of the fight.

"That's part of the game," Matyushenko recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "Injuries happen, and it's always frustrating, but deep inside my head, I'm always ready for that because it can always happen."

Cantwell was not granted a license for the fight from the Nevada State Athletic commission, and Matyushenko was left without an opponent on the card. The Belarusian was disappointed with losing the opportunity to fight, but he said there was some benefit to the process.

"It's given me extra time to train," Matyushenko said. "I survived the holidays. That's a good thing that I had been training for the fight because I'm still in decent shape. I didn't stop training or anything. I just continued to do that. That's a good thing for me."

With the card taking in place in the high-altitude of Colorado, conditioning will undoubtedly prove imperative for success for everyone at UFC on Versus 1. Matyushenko said he's familiar with the challenges of competing in the thinner air.

"I'll probably try to get some training in the mountains," Matyushenko said. "I'll be there a week before.

"I have wrestled and fought before in the mountains, in the high altitude, and it definitely makes a difference. But everybody on that card is fighting at the same height."

An accomplished wrestler, Matyushenko's ground-and-pound style has proven effective throughout his career. But in facing Marshall, a seasoned grappler, Matyushenko believes his hands may prove the key to success – though he's prepared to fight wherever the fight goes.

"I would like to surprise him, even on the ground," Matyushenko said. "I'm not afraid to go against him. I know he's really good on the ground, but I've been fighting black belts before, and I did well against them.

"Striking is definitely going to be key here, and that's what fans want to see anyway."

With a 10-1 record in his past 11 fight, Matyushenko has proven he's still relevant in the 205-pound world rankings. And though he just turned 39 years old, "The Janitor" said he's not planning on slowing down any time soon.

"I've been doing pretty well lately, and until my wheels fall off, I will keep running."

Source: posting.php?mode=post&f=17

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]