[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - [Poll] The 10 point must system sucks, but is changing it realistic?

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:07 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you think we could see a significant rule set change within the next 5 years?
Yes 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Unsure 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: [Poll] The 10 point must system sucks, but is changing it realistic?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:11 pm 

I do not want this post to go into too much detail explaining why many people think 10 point is a bad system, we all know its flaws and every time we see a fight that results in the fighter winning rounds over having the most impact in a fight winning we all get annoyed and say on reddit how it needs to be changed to pride rules or whatever alternative and there are plenty of alternatives but ive been wondering just how realistic is it to think we could see such a rework of our current rule set?

All the commissions would have to agree on rewriting the rule set and the original writing of it back when Dana and Joe had hair was like getting blood from a stone getting these same people to redo it all when in their eyes the system works just fine just as it has in boxing for donkeys years doesnt seem achievable to me without a lot of fighter pressure and public pressure at these athletic commissions directly. But even then commissions dont give a fuck and many dont know what they are even doing in the first place.

So do you think we could see a significant rule set change within the next 5 years?

Post subject: Re: the 10 point must system sucks but is changing it realistic?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:09 am 
Site Admin

I needs a change as soon as possible. Its incredibly bad. You see fighters "winning" fights getting losses every event.

How about this: Only way to win a fight is KO, TKO or submission. Otherwise the fight doesn't count. No judges needed. That would light a fire under the asses of the fighters and stop all the boring wrestling humping ala Usman/Khabib that nobody wants to see anyways. Worked great for The Contender series.

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

Post subject: Re: [Poll] The 10 point must system sucks, but is changing it realistic?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:09 pm 

It's not the system. Its the judges.
Fighters know they have to win rounds. Its always been up to the judges to measure quantity vs quality of strikes, octagon control, etc.
For excitement level tho, I like the idea of no finish, no decision.

Post subject: Re: [Poll] The 10 point must system sucks, but is changing it realistic?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:56 am 

It's the system. You can land 100 leg kicks with zero power, that do zero damage against a guy that lands a single takedown in the last minute of the round and elbows you into oblivion, and the guy that landed the 100 leg kicks will win the round. It's a fine system for boxing because it has established and fundamental guidelines about what scores what, what's considered effective offense and effective defense, and a massive history of amateur boxing through the ages to stake it's basis upon, whereas in MMA a lot of subjectivity and background knowledge (or lack of) that the judges possess is required.

I also disagree with the idea of "no finish, no decision". That works for jiujitsu, because no-one is going to get concussed in the first 15 seconds and then have to go another 15 minutes being smacked in the head, leading to almost definite brain damage later in life. The paramount concern should be fighter safety, not entertainment. Yeah, they know what they're getting into, but that doesn't mean we throw all ethical considerations out the window, especially when it's their job.

In my opinion, the fight should be judged as a whole. If at that point there is a draw, say Judge 1 rules for blue corner, Judge 2 rules for red corner, and Judge 3 rules for a draw, then it should go to a tiebreaking round-by-round judging scorecard that each judge submits at the end of each round. I also don't think having the scorecards live and available for each corner to see would be a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:58 pm 

Personally I don't love the 10 point must system, but I haven't seen any really solid suggestions for another system, so I think we may be stuck with it however I think that it could be seriously improved with competent judges. You are always going to have some idiot judges and refs, but if they were actual MMA judges instead of boxing judges that understood the rules and had some training I think it would make the 10 point must system decent enough to keep around. I also think that 10-10 and 10-8 rounds should be way more common. A close fight (at least a high profile one) is going to end in a rematch 80% of the time any way and an immediate rematch half of the time. So draws wouldn't create any problems we don't have. I think if 10-8 rounds were more common AND scores were given to corners live that would lead to different plans, strategies, etc. while also giving corners a little more support for throwing the towel in. If they know they already have a 10-8 and their guy is getting his ass beat they would be way more likely to throw the towel in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:26 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't really mean that I would prefer no finish, no decision above all, I was mostly exaggerating in frustration.

But I do think that a finish should be worth more then a judges decision. Right now it is not. It's just a win like any other win.

How about 11 points for a KO, TKO or sub, or something similar that would work towards the same goal?

What irritates me the most though is when a guy that has the whole face bleeding and cant hardly walk wins because he was "on top" for three rounds while the other guy looks like he didnt take any damage. I usually imagine a street fight or a non regulated fight where the audience are the judges and think that guy didn't f***ing win...

Looking for a seedbox? RuTorrent, qbitTorrent, Deluge and Transmission included in all packages! Unlimited torrents, unlimited transfers!
Perfect for both beginners and professionals. Watch the files directly in your browser without downloading or download to your device, up to you!

To get a recurring 10% discount on all seedbox packages use the PROMO CODE: mmatorrents

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:15 pm 

Watching Roy Jones Jr. vs Antonio Tarver and they announce that they will "go to the official scorecards" after 4 rounds. They never do in the broadcast but I like the idea.

I would love something like that in MMA. Show the scorecards before the final round.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah why not, I mean, any change at all is an improvement by now... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:16 pm 

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 11 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next