[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Carwin-Velasquez off, Lesnar vs. Carwin UFC 106

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Carwin-Velasquez off, Lesnar vs. Carwin UFC 106
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:17 pm 
Special

Report: Carwin-Velasquez scrapped, Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin at UFC 106

http://www.fiveknuckles.com/mma-news/Re ... C-106.html

Minnesota Martial Arts Academy released a series of shocking tweets Wednesday night revealing that UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will face Shane Carwin at UFC 106 in Las Vegas, NV on Nov. 21. Messages were left with Velasquez's representatives, but there is no word out of his camp at this time.

Below are the tweets in question:

* Just got word. UFC 105 on November 21 will feature Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin.

from Seesmic

* Don't know about Cain. Just heard they offered Lesnar a fight with Carwin.

from Seesmic in reply to dmiller21

* I clicked a wrong key. It is actually UFC 106. It will be at Mandalay Bay in Vegas. UFC 105 is in England.

from Seesmic

Word of the potential matchup spread around the MMA blogoshere like wildfire, eventually reaching the ears of Carwin himself.

"Lots of talk going around right now," Carwin blogged on his personal website. "It seems to stem from a twitter post out of MN. I can't confirm or deny anything I can just tell you guys that I am training harder then ever and your support and loyalty will carry me through any fight they send my way. With you guys on my side I am ready for whatever happens. Stay tuned to the site or UFC.com for any official news about me.

Although confirmation from official sources has yet to be directly established, Lesnar's representatives appear to have confirmed the news via twitter and Carwin wouldn't deny the news, making it likely.

They question at this point becomes: Why was Velasquez passed over and, if healthy, who will he face at UFC 104?

We'll have more on this breaking story as soon as news becomes available

Post subject: Re: Carwin-Velasquez off, Lesnar vs. Carwin UFC 106
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:51 pm 

Great news. That's the match I wanted to see anyways. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:54 pm 
Really hope this is not true.... Carwin needs to win against a good opponent as Cain before he deserves a titleshot. I really think Carwin would have lost to Cain.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:56 pm 
Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin in discussions to meet at UFC 106 in Las Vegas

Shane Carwin's (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) path to a UFC title shot will apparently not go through fellow top contender Cain Velasquez.

Though it was previously rumored that Carwin would meet Velasquez at the co-main event of UFC 104, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has been able to confirm that the undefeated heavyweight is currently in negotiations to face current heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at UFC 106 in November.

News of the potential bout first surfaced Wednesday night in a Twitter message from Minnesota MMA, and MMAMadness.com also issued a report citing sources close to the event.

While both fighters have apparently agreed to the contest, bout agreements have yet to be issued.

If the bout is finalized, the match would be Lesnar's first title defense after unifying the UFC's heavyweight title with a UFC 100 win over then-interim champ Frank Mir.

The 34-year-old Carwin has registered three-straight impressive wins in the UFC, scoring first-round wins over Gabriel Gonzaga, Neil Wain and Christian Wellisch. Carwin has registered first-round stoppage win in all 11 of his career bouts.

Velasquez will still compete on the UFC 104 card Oct. 24 in Los Angeles according to a report from AOL FanHouse. A new opponent has not yet been named.

UFC 106 is scheduled to take place Nov. 21 at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

For complete coverage of UFC 106, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15921/brock-l ... -vegas.mma

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:01 pm 
Shane Carwin Gets Title Shot Vs. Brock Lesnar at UFC 106

Sources close to MMAMadness.com are reporting that negotiations are underway for Brock Lesnar to make his first official title defense against Shane Carwin at UFC 106 on Nov. 21, at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, NV.

Carwin had been scheduled to take on AKA fighter Cain Velasquez in October at UFC 104. But the UFC has opted to change course.

Velasquez is reportedly healthy, and his management, Zinkin Entertainment, has not heard any news regarding the bout being scratched.

Minnesota MMA confirmed our sources by tweeting the news Wednesday night.

UFC 106 takes place Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas NV.

Here are other rumored matches for the event:

Tito Ortiz vs. Mark Coleman

Jon Fitch vs. Ricardo Almeida

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2394 ... at-ufc-106

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:25 pm 
Special

YES!!!!!!!!! This will be a humongous fight, literally.

I think, if Carwin vs. Cain happened, Carwin would have KO'd/TKO'd him. Kongo exposed Cain for having a glass jaw, and I think Carwin would have followed up on it, or blasted him with just one punch.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:40 pm 

I totally agree with Larmore on this one, I don't think Cain would have stood a chance against Carwin anyways. And for anyone that says Carwin doesn't deserve a title shot yet, Brock got one after 2 fights. Carwins record is already better than Brock's and I think he deserves the shot as much as anyone else right now, and it doesn't hurt that he's undefeated till now. If a 2-1 Brock deserved a shot, an 11-0 Carwin does as well. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:33 am 
Special

As much as I like the Carwin vs Lesnar match-up I'm a little disappointed as I'm going to UFC 104 and was looking forward to watching Carwin vs Velasquez. I think Carwin would of kept it standing and knocked him out, possibly in the first round.

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:19 am 
Special

http://mmamania.com/2009/08/20/ufc-106- ... on-nov-21/

Undefeated heavyweight behemoth Shane Carwin has been pulled from his Oct. 24 bout against fellow fast-rising prospect Cain Velasquez to fight current champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 106 from the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Nov. 21.

Rumors began to circulate last night after MMAmadness.com broke the news and MMAmania.com has since been able to confirm the big shake up.

Carwin and Velasquez were originally paired up for UFC 104 from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, Calif., to determine a number one contender for Lesnar’s title.

With Randy Couture and Antonio Nogueira having already committed to the main event of UFC 102, there were some concerns within the organization that a suitable opponent would not be found for Lesnar by year’s end following his destruction of Frank Mir at UFC 100.

There was also the possibility of eliminating two major prospects within the division in a very short period of time had the winner of Carwin vs. Velasquez gone on to be defeated by the champ.

Velasquez will still compete at UFC 104 as scheduled opposite Ben Rothwell, and with a victory, would likely face the winner of Lesnar vs. Carwin at some point in 2010.

UFC 106 is expected to feature MMA elder statesman Mark “The Hammer” Coleman as he welcomes the return of the surgically repaired “Huntington Beach Bad Boy” Tito Ortiz in a 205-pound clash.

Stay tuned to MMAmania.com for more information on this developing fight card as it becomes available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:07 pm 
Special

"There was also the possibility of eliminating two major prospects within the division in a very short period of time had the winner of Carwin vs. Velasquez gone on to be defeated by the champ."

That was the view I always took on this fight. Although I think either of them (but especially Carwin) would be good against Brock, I couldn't really see why they were making two guys who were definate title-shot-earners fight each other when the division is kinda lacking challengers except these two.

Think the two fights they've created now are far better prospects and brings a legit title defence for Brock much sooner, rather than him either taking a lesser fight or having to wait until the winner of Carwin/Velasquez was ready to fight again.

..::::..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 13 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next